How to use the site:
- Searching for words:
- Rating words:
- Click on a post and rate it by clicking the stars next to “Rate This”.
- Pronouncing words:
- Here is a guide to understanding pronunciation marks.
- Format of words:
- pronunciation, definition, language of origin
- notes (if any)
- roots: language/root/meaning (if any)
- Using the Spelling Quiz:
- The quiz is usually updated weekly.
- Words are randomly picked from the site and listed in no particular order.
- Words occasionally repeat.
- Answers can be found here.
- Comment with how many words you spelled correctly!
- Learning words:
- You may want to use a slideshow of pictures of words as your computer’s background/screensaver.
- Etymologies aren’t always completely accurate!
- The words are pretty much randomly pulled from my life; I saw them somewhere & thought they were interesting.
- Most images have been found with Google Search. I often use pictures from the LotR/Hobbit movies and BBC’s Sherlock.
- I usually look up pronunciations, definitions, and etymology at Merriam-Webster’s online dictionary & its unabridged version.